Sunday 27 November 2011

Battle Day

I have been busy making the final arrangements for the Battle Day Ceremony in London on 10th December with the AGM afterwards. Due to a misunderstanding I failed to get a booking for the room at the Union Jack Club and we are returning to the London Scottish Regimental HQ in Horseferry Road for the AGM this year. It is about the same distance from The Cenotaph so we should be OK. I was suprised to be told that I had to carry out a Health and Safety Inspection of the premises before I could use the Hall!

I wish people would answer letters and emails - how long does it take to say "OK Col, no problems" especially with emails. I still haven't had a reply from the FCO despite a letter (the first formal approach) and two emails.

Whilst whinging about people not replying to emails and letters I emailed all the FI students at UK universities asking for an address to send the FIA Newsletter to them as so many sent last Spring had been returned "Gone Away". Eight out of 22 replied, one email bounced. Not quite sure what this response, or lack of it, means.

I also wrote to the FI students at Peter Symonds College, all eleven of them, with a copy of the Newsletter and an invitation for two of them to come to Battle Day and lay a wreath on behalf of the Young Falkland Islanders. That was only a week or so ago but so far not a whisper of a response, not even "No thanks". I write this in the hopes that the post on Monday or an email will restore my faith in the young Falkland Islanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment